In this article, we’re gonna learn how to use PowerApps with Excel as a data source, and we will know the different ways to use an excel file as a data source to use in PowerApps.
In PowerApps, Most Canvas Apps need external information to use as a Data source, you will find connected data sources backed by a connection and local data sources which are local to the app such as Collections. For more information about PowerApps data sources, you can check this Power Apps Data source article.
An Excel file is an example of a connected data source that we can use as Power Apps data source, so let’s know how to use an Excel file as a data source in PowerApps.
You can check our video to see how to make Power Apps app fro Excel.
How to use PowerApps with Excel?
There are two ways to use an Excel file as a PowerApps Data source, one way using the ” OneDrive for Business” connection, and the second way by using the “Import from Excel” connection to use the Excel file as static data on your app.
Prepare the Excel file to use with PowerApps
Here, as you see the Excel file with the data that we want to use in Power Apps as a data source.
As Power Apps only deal with Excel tables, so convert The Excel file data into Table. Click “Format as Table” and don’t forget to check the “My table has headers checkbox“.
If your Excel file contain images URL, the column name must be Image [image]
Use The Excel as Data source in Power Apps
You have to know that we link our Power Apps through the table name,and there are two ways to use PowerApps with Excel file.
1.Using the “OneDrive for Business” Connection
- Inside your App studio, on the left navigation, click on the Data Source and click + Add data, then search for the “OneDrive for Business” connection “which is the connection for the Excel file in Power Apps“, and then choose it.
- After you choose the OneDrive for business connection, it will return for you all excel files found in the OneDrive, choose your Excel file.
- That will show you all the tables found in the selected excel file >Choose the table you want to connect to and press connect.
- Now, the excel data source available in your app and you can use the data source according to your requirements.
2. Using the “Import from Excel” Connection
- In the data source, search for Import from Excel connection and connect to it.
- After choosing Import from Excel connection, it will ask you to browse your file, so choose your Excel file, then it will ask you to choose the table in the excel file that you will use as a data source inside your app and click the Connect button.
- Now your Excel table is available to use as a data source inside your app.
You can use PowerApps with Excel file in two ways, The first one is to save your Excel file in the OneDrive storage, and connect to your Excel file using the OneDrive for Business connection, and the second way is to upload and use your Excel file as a static data source in your app by using the Import from Excel connection.